Monday 29 August 2011

I'm a whinger

I admit it. I’m a whinger.

I get cranky when I’m cold. I like my cup of tea in the morning, prepared just so and if I can’t have it, I get crabby. I’m particular about the most stupid stuff. I like things done a certain way and if someone or something prevents that, well, I get irritated. I like my sleep.

I don’t appreciate the good things in my life the way I should. I know in my heart that I am one of the lucky ones. I have a roof over my head and food on the table and a good job and a car and most importantly, a healthy, happy child. I have amazing friends and a great life. I live in a time where as a woman I have equal rights, where I have access to medical treatment for my family as I need it. There is fresh water and plentiful food available. I’m not subjected to violence and I don’t live in fear. I am so very, very lucky. I wish I could find a way to feel that every day; really feel it, really appreciate it.

I talk to my daughter about how lucky we are a lot. I tell her about the enormous number of people in the world who have no food, no home and no family. This morning she was complaining about having to go to school. I explained that although it doesn’t feel like it, she is lucky to be able to go to school. She is lucky to be in a clean, warm school uniform with a bag full of pencils and books and a lunch box filled with tasty snacks for the day. She has a bottle of clean water. She has all her friends to hang out with all day. And at the end of the day, the bell rings and she comes out of her classroom and straight into my arms for a kiss and cuddle. Lucky alright! When she gets home there is a snack, a place to do homework and then a nice dinner and television to watch. Then, at bedtime she has a warm, cosy bed to climb into.

I need to remind myself of all of this too. Mondayitis is bullshit really for most of us. I woke up this morning wishing I could sleep in, not rush and have a leisurely morning. I was crabby. After I had finished my little lecture to my daughter about being grateful for what we have I realised I needed to take a leaf out of my own book. Here is I was, driving to work in my late model car to a nice job that pays me a fair wage. I am treated with respect by my colleagues and the work is manageable. I work school hours. I eat a nice lunch at my desk and I can grab a cuppa whenever I want to. People here are nice and we have the odd laugh. I can listen to music during the day if I want to. My desk faces out the window and my outlook is pleasant. It is warm and comfortable. So really, what the hell do I have to complain about? And yet I do. I am a whinger, especially on a Monday.

I try to watch this video “Miniature Earth” regularly just to give myself a bit of a slap over the head. I need to snap out of it. I really do.

If we could turn the population of the earth into a small community of 100 people, keeping the same proportions we have today, it would be something like this...





4 comments:

  1. The basic sanitation stats killed me a little. Wow.

    xx P23

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your "that's not news!" column!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking. Made the hubs watch with me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete