Thursday 4 August 2011

American Beauty - My Favourite Film


I adore "American Beauty".
I've seen it a dozen times now.


"Lester Burnham, a depressed suburban father in a mid-life crisis, decides to turn his hectic life around after developing an infatuation for his daughter's attractive friend." 


Kevin Spacey is utterly brilliant in it.
Chris Cooper is chillingly good.
Annette Bening is superb.
It's unforgettable.

I love this montage.


There are plenty of films I love but this film is the one I find faultless and one I can watch over and over again. The soundtrack is incredible; haunting and perfect. The final line in the film kills me everytime:


"I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday."

4 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful line. I've only seen it the once, what a lightweight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've seen it twice but I agree great film. Alan Ball is a genius, Six Feet Under is my favourite show ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen it! Methinks I should definitely get it out next time I want to kick myself in the head over thesis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just once for me.. not sure I could watch it again.. but I thought it was brilliant..

    ReplyDelete