Monday 1 August 2011

I'll take "interesting" over "beautiful" any day of the week....

All this talk of Alan Rickman has got me thinking. Why is it that someone like Alan Rickman is just so attractive? He isn't classically good looking and there are times when he looks plain scary.

Alan Rickman
He has that amazing quality that many truly gifted actors do of being able to transform themselves from deeply attractive to completely revolting. Mind you, even in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" as the repulsive Sheriff of Nottingham I would have taken Alan Rickman over Kevin Bloody Costner any day.

Another example! "Sense & Sensibility". Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon always seemed a far better choice to me than the classically handsome Greg Wise as Willoughby! But Marianne had to learn the hard way!

Liam Neeson
Liam Neeson is another imperfect but gorgeous man.  He can be incredibly beautiful one moment but then, in another he sort of goes from "hot" to "whaaaat?"  The accent and his rugged imperfection is totally appealing to me. Liam Neeson in "Love Actually" *sigh*

Finally, and here is where I get a "bit left of centre" I suppose, Paul Giamatti.  Here is a guy who no one would consider to be Hollywood handsome.  He wears cardigans for goodness sakes!  And yet, I find him totally appealing!  Talented, a little tortured looking and interesting.  You can see in his beautiful eyes that the guy has depth.  Loved him in "Sideways" and in "Barney's Version".
Paul Giamatti
Interesting beats perfect hands down in my books.  I'm not saying Brad Pitt or George Clooney* aren't interesting.  They are probably very nice fellows and they would most likely be charming dinner companions.  Strange but true, I would rather spend time with a man whose looks are not his calling card, someone who wins me over with their mind and their personality and their character.

So am I a weirdo guys? Am I alone on this?

* If you are reading this George I am full of it, call me. I am free every day between now and oh, I don't know, eternity......

3 comments:

  1. Great post & I agree. Steve Buscemi has always been attractive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve Buscemi is another great example! The teeth put me off a bit though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes perfect sense to me. I also have giggle goggles - the more they make me laugh the more attractive they become.

    ReplyDelete